"Charles Barthle was a member of the family which founded St. Joseph. He moved here and managed the Florida House Hotel at the corner of Jesse Jones Ave. and Curley St. beginning in 1900. In 1913, he built this two-story hotel and moved from the Florida House to run this as a family-style establishment.
After World War II, it was owned by Wilbur Strehle and his family, then by the Barthles again, and in 1970 it was acquired by Henry and Irene Pike. They converted it to a residential retirement center known as the "Share-A-Home, St. Charles". This was operated until 1989, when the Steve Miller family modified it to be a family restaurant. Later, it was operated as a bed and breakfast."
In about 1892 Larnbertus Julles Halsema was scouting around Florida for a place to live while his wife was in Ohio. He was informed of a Catholic Community in San Antonio, FL about 50 miles south of Bushnell, FL. San Antonio had a Catholic Church, Convent, Parochial school, St. Leo College for boys and Holy Name Academy for girls. Lambertus and his wife Marie Agnes Duwel lived there 24 years until 1916 when Lambertus died.